Thursday, April 26, 2012

Money Saving Tip #4

  • Buy your pet medication online. Our dog Petie battled heart failure for years and in the end was on 7 pills per day. I paid less than half of my vet’s price by ordering his pills online from Drs. Foster and Smith. It takes a little planning ahead and you have to mail in a written prescription from your vet. It’s worth it though when you realize how much money you’re saving. Our dog Charlie is on a glucosamine supplement. I paid $60 for his first bottle of 120 pills at the vet. I just ordered his second bottle of 250 pills online for $69. I also order flea and tick preventative online. Amazon sells our dogs’ size for $57 (with shipping) for 6 doses. Walmart carries the new Pet Armour for $50 for 6 doses. I don’t know anyone who uses this though so I spent the extra $7 to get the name brand. Maybe one of you has tried it and can tell me if it works. I take pet health very seriously and would never try to save money by not taking my sick/injured pet to the vet. Their knowledge is valuable and I’m happy to pay for their time. It’s just the medicine that I’d prefer to pay less for.

2 comments:

Lizz said...

Hi Katie!! This is a great article and I completely agree with everything you have to say!! As far as the new Pet Armor being sold at Wal-Mart, I would say that anyone who wants to take their pets health seriously should avoid getting anything at Wal-Mart or anyplace like that. Product manufacturers are able to sell to places at Wal-Mart and give the consumer such great prices because they use less safe, cheaper fillers. This is true for laundry soap, dog food and pretty much everything else. So even if Wal-Mart carries the same brand as Petsmart for a better price, you really are getting what you pay for.

Anonymous said...

I think that makes a lot of sense. I worked in a vet's office and was astounded at the bills people paid. I've enjoyed reading your bloog so far and I can't wait to read more. For someone who hasn't read Dave Ramsey you sure seem to know what you're talking about.